Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 5: Realistic goals

I realize that this is not actually day 5 and that it should be day 8, but the weekend happened and sometimes all the time it is more important to get tied up in spending time with your family and having fun than it is to blog. 

I had a great weekend.  Went out with a friend Friday night for dinner and drinks, cleaned the house with the help of my handsome husband Saturday and cooked dinner that night, and Sunday we have a weekly tradition of grilling steaks and watching a movie at home.  It's my favorite night!

During this time of hanging out with my family and getting stuff accomplished around the house, I realized that I was constantly thinking about what my next daily challenge should be.  I was being so hard on myself about it, that I was having a hard time staying in the moment and enjoying my family.  Then, I realized how silly that was.

I started thinking about how often I felt I should be doing something more.  I am my own worst critic.  I am so mean to myself!  I wouldn't put the pressure I put on myself on anyone else, so why do I feel the need to put it on myself?  I know it's good to challenge yourself, and it's good to have goals, but it's also good to realize that you're not perfect...and that it's okay to not be perfect.

I realized that I hold myself to such a high standard, that it is literally impossible to meet that standard.  In my head, I have a million things I feel I should be doing, and because it is seriously not even almost possible to get all of it done in a day, I feel like I've failed. 

Nick knows this better than anyone, but when I feel overwhelmed, instead of sorting out what needs to be done in order of importance, I tend to just give up and not do any of it.  We started cleaning this weekend, and I felt like there was so much to be done that I didn't know where to start.  I think Nick must have seen that all-too-familiar look on my face, because he handed me a trash sack, and told me exactly where to start.  He knows me so well. 

So, I need to start setting realistic goals for myself.  I am not superwoman but I am also not a failure.  Setting unrealistic goals can sure make you feel that way in a hurry, though.  I have a full plate, and not everything is going to get done every day.  It's okay.  It'll be there tomorrow.

“When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” -African Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment