Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 6: Being Thankful and Content

Happy November!  This is my favorite month.  It finally starts getting cool, the leaves change colors, and I can wear cute fall clothes!  My birthday is this month, my anniversary is this month, and Thanksgiving (um...hello, AMAZING food) is this month!  Lots of great things happen in November.

A lot of people have been posting every day on facebook something they are thankful for.  I love seeing all the happy and positive posts; they are drowning out the negative ones, which I totally appreciate.  With all the political propaganda plastered all over with everyone bashing the party they don't believe in, it is so refreshing to see people taking time out of their day to be thankful.

I read something once that really stuck with me.  It said, "What if you woke up tomorrow with only those things you thanked God for today?"  Ouch.  There are days I think I would wake up with nothing, if that were the case.  We so often forget to thank the One who provides everything for us.  In this great country of ours, even those who are considered "in poverty" have access to food and water on a daily basis.  Our worst isn't so bad when you really stop to think about it.

My amazing best friend of 13 years (Omg...thirteen years?! Where did the time go?) spent a summer in Africa and came back with beautiful and tragic stories about the people there.  She came back completely changed.  She loves to use the hash tag #firstworldproblems when she sees someone complaining about something that would be considered a blessing in a third world country.  For example: "Ugh...like, my iPhone is totally spazzing out on me!  I can't check my email.  My day is ruined!" #firstworldproblems

I truly have so much to be thankful for.  I have the world's best parents, who have completely supported me and loved me through some really ugly times.  I have a sister and a brother who will put me in my place when I need it, stand up for me when someone isn't treating me right, and will act completely crazy with me in public places. :-) I have beautiful friends, who I know would be there for me in a heartbeat without even asking them.  I have a job that I love.  I have a roof over my head.  Food on my table.  Water to drink.

I have a husband who loves me at my worst, encourages me daily, provides for our family, tells me I'm beautiful...and is so genuine about it that I believe him.  He stands up for me when I can't find my footing to stand up for myself.  He loves our babies and the relationship he has with them is so admirable.

I have two amazing kids.  God allowed me...me... the honor of being their mother.  I still haven't figured out what I did to deserve it, but I am blown away daily by the lessons they teach me.  They are happy and innocent and beautiful.  Most importantly, they are healthy.  I hope I never forget to be thankful for that.

Isn't that enough to count myself as blessed? You would think so. However, on a daily basis I find myself wishing for more. I want a new outfit, or a less hectic schedule, or a day to be by myself, or more money, or the ability to get everything done in one day that I think I should. I find myself seeing these people that seem to have it all together, and I wish I were more like them. I see the crafty people that post stuff on facebook and I wish I had their talent. I see moms in the store who have their hair fixed, make-up on, kids dressed like they came straight out of a magazine, and then of course their beautifully dressed children are behaving just as beautifully...

...and then I look at myself, with my hair in a hair tie (probably not washed), jeans, t-shirt, flip-flops, and no makeup, with my kids looking (although still adorable) like they rolled in the dirt before we walked in, and Grayson asking if he can, "Please please please have a toy?  I'll be a good boy.  I really want one.  Mom?  Mommy?  Mom?  Mom?  MOM! Please can I have a toy?  I'll be good.  Please!!!  Mom!  Can I have a toy?  Just a little tiny one.  I promise I won't ask anymore, okay?  I'm not asking for a toy.  I reaaallllyyy like toys, though.  And I'm a good boy.  A really really good boy........................................................and also I love toys."

Do these other moms sedate their kids before walking in?  I'm just wondering.

That's just it, though.  I see a short snapshot of these women and their families.  I see them for a couple of minutes in a store.  I see what they choose to present.  Who knows what their lives are really like?  They could be perfectly happy and just as polished as they appear, or they could be miserable.  There is no way for me to know either way.  And it shouldn't matter.

I am blessed!  Yes, my life is hectic and crazy and disorganized.  Yes, Grayson will continue to ask for toys every single time we go into the store...repeatedly...and loudly.  Yes, some moms will look like they have it all together while I look like it is all falling apart...but that's just a snapshot.  My family is happy and healthy and full of love.  My kids go to sleep every night knowing they are adored.  I go to sleep at night knowing that no matter what life throws at me, I have the most amazing support system.

So, I will be thankful for that and I will be content with what God gives me.  I hope I am never put in a position to know what it is like to be without the things that I take for granted.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment